"Live a life worthy of the calling you have received." Ephesians 4:1



Friday, July 22, 2011

Two Sides of My Brain and Simcha Fisher

I wrote this in the comments section on Simcha Fisher's "I Have to Sit Down" blog....and realized that what I wrote really sums up many days and the typical pattern of my life right now.  The paradox of the two sides of my brain.  So here are the comments I posted, and the link to both stories in case anyone wants to read an Actual Writer's writing instead of my comments on an A.W.'s writing!

"I just read your post on ‘seven things’ and the trouble you had making bubbles and running out of water in the heat of summer….and then read "Mary in a Helicopter" - the article about the images of Mary, especially images that are not of Mary but are symbolically of Mary such as the photo of the Japanese woman bathing her deformed daughter as seen at this link: http://masters-of-photography.com/S/smith/smith_minamata_full.html

http://simchafisher.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/seven-hot-takes/#comment-7351  And I thought “can this be the same person? No way.  And lo and behold it’s you both times. 

Crazy…but I can relate to the remnants of artistic appreciaton and ascending to tender moments of faith and Holy Spirit inspired beauty…they still occasionally catch me by surprise and punctuate the ant infestations, wet bathing suits that are left on the stairs/bed/rug/floor/bathroom/bed, and multiple moments when I actually say things I never, ever imagined that I would in BH, (“before motherhood”).  Things such as ‘whose poop is this?’ as I examine it and try to figure out which child it might belong to. I actually did that earlier tonight and it never occurred to me that I was doing something completely gross.  It was all about JUSTICE and attempting to get my children to actually flush their actual excrement.  Themselves. Without threats of losing whatever I could think of quickly that they might value if I refused to grant to them.

Anyway, these two articles were comforting to me - to see that you have this paradox in your life as well.  You actually go a little lower in the disheveled household department (okay, sometimes I am lower) and higher in the exquisiteness of spiritual insights and bursts of intellectual functioning that are reminiscent of When I Was Smart (also before motherhood) (and mostly in college).

So thanks for speaking and writing out of both sides of your brain - the sane and the insane sides.  I can totally relate. Another glimmer of hope rises from the laundry pile of my brain."


Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/mary-in-her-helicopter/#ixzz1StR92j5p

No comments:

Post a Comment